Power in prayer...


Every Sunday night I begin the ritual of preparation.
I pack water bottles. Check snack bags. Look for ministry books. Grab the blessing bags. Print out a sound permit. Find the ipod. Restock toys and coloring books. Write out verses.
And pray.
Pray again.
Then pray some more.

There is no predictability to the ministry at the abortion mill.
I minister with the same people...on the same sidewalk...with the same resources and materials...
but each person that drives down Latrobe brings a soulful of heartache...different from the last.
So while we have a definite structure and routine to the ministry...there is the uniqueness that comes with it that falls completely outside of our control.
And that is why prayer has become the only one ESSENTIAL in this ministry.
Prayer is where the action is.

Six months ago...I was able to see the power of prayer be put into action.
On this particular morning, I had received several texts from friends and messages letting me know that I had been on their hearts and that they were covering me in prayer.
My friends and family have been so very faithful in keeping me surrounded and protected through prayer on our ministry days...this one was no different.

I saw a car pulling down the road and walked over to see if I could speak with them before they went inside.
They stopped and rolled down their window.
Immediately I asked them if they would like to go to the pregnancy resource center and receive a free ultrasound.
(Not my normal intro...but in hindsight I know that the Spirit was orchestrating everything)
The young man agreed. The young girl was not quite ready.
After a few minutes of conversation she agreed to head over to the PRC.

Once there...we heard their story.
It was a common one...young...in school...not ready to have a baby...pressures...expectations.
But then...Ethan* told his story.
He came from a large, loving family. But sadly, eight years earlier his family had all been killed in a tragic car accident.
Four siblings. Two parents. Gone...in an instant.
He was alone.

As he told us his story...tears rolled down his cheeks. He knew that the sweet little one growing inside Anna's* womb was his flesh and blood. His family.
We talked awhile with him...asked him if he knew of God's plan of salvation...reassured him of the resources we had available to him...exchanged numbers...and then reluctantly left him in the hands of the PRC.

It was so hard to drive away. Not knowing what the outcome was for that precious life...or for Ethan and Anna.
Several hours later I received a text...."we are keeping the baby. I cannot thank you enough for being out there. I know God sent you today to help us."

We kept the relationship open. I encouraged them to plug back into church. To get married. To surround themselves with godly couples.
Amazingly, they did. Several months later they were married.
And then we were able to drive up and bless them with an incredible baby shower through Truth and Mercy ministries.

During the shower, Ethan told me that he had prayed and prayed that morning before going to the abortion mill. He knew that it was wrong but didn't know how to change Anna's mind. Or how else to support her.
He prayed specifically that God would send an angel to block their path...and he said, "there you were".

This past week...their little boy was born. Healthy. Beautiful. Loved. Treasured.
As I drove up to see him, praying for his parents and the journey ahead of them...I prayed.
Thanking the Lord for His passionate pursuit of us...in spite of our sin.
Thanking the Lord for allowing us to be a small part of His intricate sovereign plan.
Thanking the Lord for the saints that spend hours on their knees covering this ministry.


And when I held that precious little guy in my arms...I wept.
Overwhelmed with the reality of contrast between life and death.
Seeing his sweet face and tiny fingers...knowing that his future had been precarious.
I wept at the love written across his parents face.
My presence being there reminding them again of how close they had come.


The power of prayer...the love of a Savior...the conviction of the Spirit...the willingness of the Father...
and a baby was born.
No matter how much preparation I do...how much experience I gain...how much wisdom I collect...there is no substitute for prayer.
On that day in October...prayer radically changed four unique lives.



*I changed their names for to protect their privacy

0 comments