Camp Nathanael...

When I was a freshman in high school, several of my friends signed up to take missions trips overseas. I listened to their anticipation and growing excitement and couldn't help but want an adventure of my own. My parents weren't quite ready to send me across the ocean...and to their credit, I do not blame them...I wasn't the most mature fourteen year old!!! But they had an alternative.
My grandparents had been pioneer missionaries in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky when my mother was born. They served with a ministry called Scripture Memory Mountain Mission. The missionaries would go into the public schools and were free to teach Bible lessons to any of the students that were interested. If these students would do their provided lessons and memorize a certain number of verses during the year...they received a free week at Camp Nathanael. Many years later, the mission and camp were still in full swing. And that is where I spent the next six summers of my life.
Each summer holds different memories...but the summary of all of them is incredible blessings. God used the people and the beauty of Kentucky to change my heart towards Him and His service. And I cannot help but look back on those memories with a bit of sentimental longing.
I have been back to Kentucky twice since being married. Once for a family reunion...and once just passing through. But each of the visits were brief...and did not include the full camp experience. So I asked Jason if we could attend Family Camp this year...and that way I could introduce my family to my beloved Camp Nathanael.
Jason agreed and I immediately emailed the camp director. But Jason wanted to do more than to just attend...he wanted to serve. He wanted to "pay back" this amazing ministry that poured into his wife over the years. So, he was asked to be the missions speaker for the week and readily agreed.


Leading up to the week at camp, I regaled the kids with story after story of all my years at camp. Their anticipation grew...and the trip there seemed to fly by. They were ready for "the best week of the lives". And of course...that is exactly what we had!



I was pleasantly surprised to be reunited with so many of my friends from camp days. Grown up, married and with kids...we all had a blast getting to know the "adult" version of each other! Although...I have to say...for some, not much has changed!! I also was blessed to spend time with two spiritual mentors that helped shape me those six years I was at camp...and beyond!

Jason did an incredible job teaching and enjoyed partnering with Dr Bill Brown. He also enjoyed sitting tall on his stead and playing the Lone Ranger! :-) He also wowed everyone with his mad volleyball skills each night we played.


Tyler and Amy had a blast. Within hours of arriving, each of them had made new friends...and were hardly seen again the rest of the week. 
 
They were busy creek stomping, hunting for craw-dads, playing gaga ball, foosball, basketball, swimming, riflery, archery, and on and on and on. There was so much for them to do!!!


One of the nights there, we were treated to a County Fair...complete with clowns, face painting, games, treats...


and of course a dunking booth!
 Jason was volunteered to be dunked...and he spent the majority of his time...IN the water!!



 It was an amazing week...full of sweet reunions...fun adventures...precious family time...meeting new people...being amazed by God's beautiful handiwork...and encouraged by the steadfastness of His body.


Camp Nathanael will always hold a special place in my heart. 
I am so thankful for the time the Lord allowed me to spend there...and the joy that my family has now experienced there. 
Praying for the ministry to continue to flourish in their lives and ours!!

0 comments