Praying...


A group of ministers had assembled for the discussion of difficult questions. Among others, it was asked how the command to "pray without ceasing" could be complied with. Various explanations were given, until it was finally agreed that one would be appointed to write a lengthily essay on it which would be read at the next meeting.

The entire discussion was overheard by a young woman who had been serving the tea. She said, "What? A whole month to tell the meaning of that text? Why it is one of easiest and best texts in the Bible!"

"Well, well, Mary", said an old minister, "what can you say about it? Let us know how you understand it. Can you pray all the time without ceasing?"

"Oh yes, sir!" 

"What?" the old minister coughed back, "when you have so many things to do?" 

"Why, sir, the more I have to do, the more I can pray!" 

"Indeed", he replied, "Well Mary, let us know how it is. Most of us think the answer is otherwise."

"Well, sir," she said, "when I first open my eyes in the morning, I pray ‘Lord, open the eyes of my 
understanding.’ While I am dressing, I pray that I may be clothed with the robes of righteousness. When I wash, I ask for the washing of regeneration. As I work, I pray that I may have the strength equal to my day. As I sweep out the house, I pray the my heart may be cleansed from all impurities. While preparing and eating my breakfast, I pray to be fed with the hidden manna and the sincere milk of the Word. As I am busy with the little children, I ask God to make me become as a child. And so on, all day. Everything I do furnishes me with a thought for prayer."

"Enough, enough", cried the old minister, "these things are revealed to babes and hidden from the wise and prudent. Go on , Mary, pray without ceasing. May we all do the same!"


Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, 
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
 I Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comments