Chillin' in DC...literally...

Jason's Christmas present this year (from several people) was a trip to Washington DC.
My husband - who wrote a book about taking back our country, who loves American history and knows more facts than I could possibly ever remember, my husband - the red, white and blue patriot - had never been to this nation's capital!
Needless to say...he was very excited about this trip!!!
My parents were coming in from AZ for two weeks...so we left our precious kiddos in their (very much) capable care and headed off to DC!



First stop, the PENTAGON. I don't know if I'm allowed to actually write anything about this stop.
There were signs everywhere NO CAMERAS, NO PHONES, NO, NO NO...I was pretty nervous the entire time I was there that I would break some rule...accidentally!!!
(Jason might or might not have contributed to these anxieties!!! Ha!)


Next up...the city.
And it was COLD. Not just a little chilly...it was two layers of clothes, boots, scarves, mittens, hats...and I-still-can't-feel-my-toes cold!
But being surrounded by whispers of history invigorated some serious walking on our part!
We managed to hit all of memorials as well as the American History Museum.



Jason acted as my personal tour guide...not because he had been there before...but for every place we went he regaled me with story after story.
Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln were revered with awe. 
Abolitionists. Fighters of Freedom. Passionate truth seekers.
Jason and I spent quite a bit of time pondering the effects their lives had on the shaping of our country.
The EPA, Federal Reserve, etc...he had just as much to say...just definitely not as positive! :-)


The next day was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
We had a quick tour of the White House...saw the President leaving in Marine One...and pet the Obama's dog.
Then we were off to the US Capital, Library of Congress and Supreme Court.


I was completely overwhelmed at the Supreme Court.
How is it that these justices - being only men and women - hold so much power in their hands?
What does that weight feel like? How will they answer for their choices? What effects do they see?
It burdened my heart to pray for them...for their salvation and their future.

Jason and I walked in awe in the Rotunda at the Capital.
Treading the same path of those great patriarchs of liberty.
Knowing that their lives changed the course of history.
It was both humbling and inspiring!


The last day was saved for Arlington Cemetery and the National Archives.
What a sobering sight....row upon row of lives sacrificed for the sake of freedom.
How much we take for granted...how much we forget...how easily we become complacent...
but these markers...each one representing a life - a brother, husband, father, son, - a daughter, sister, mother, wife, friend...do not lie.
Freedom is not free. It will never be free.
So while our independence was granted and slavery abolished...
we are still fighting off threats to this amazing country!
Families everyday send off a loved one...praying that he or she will return.
I was overwhelmed with gratitude...and burdened to pray that those lives were not given in vain.
That the freedoms we take for granted aren't sifted away in the darkest of nights.
Standing at the top of the hill...the best spot in all of DC to see "everything"...Jason and I prayed for God's blessing once again on this nation.

A wonderful trip...spent together...surrounded by history...reminded of God's blessings...and encouraged to stay front and center in the fight to hold fast to our freedoms!!!

2 comments