The Realm of the Impossible...


The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith, and the beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety.

For the last month or so, I have been reading to the kids about the life of George Mueller. His testimony is radical...going from complete rebellion, greed, and manipulation - to complete surrender and submission to God's calling on his life. It has been humbling to read story after story of Mueller's incredible faith in God's provision...and God's faithfulness to provide. George Mueller is most known for the orphanages he opened throughout England...but he is also known for his unique faith in prayer.

Early on in his ministry, Mueller committed everything to the Lord. He wanted little to do with material possessions and in fact, sold all of the things that he felt would "tie him to this earth". He simply trusted God to provide for ALL of his needs...without exception. He did not have a plan B...or a backup...or a safety net...or any debt. If there was a need...Mueller would pray. And then trust that God would see fit to answer his prayers. Whether it was for a loaf of bread...or a building...nothing was too big or small to go before the throne of grace and entreat his Savior.

It has been convicting for me to read of this man's great faith. And while at first, I was tempted to simply shrug it off...given that we live almost two hundred years apart...I cannot deny that the God of Mueller is the same God that I serve. And while I would love to simply dismiss his faith as being "radical" and more "necessary" for his time...I cannot deny that God has called me to this same faith...in this very time!

If we desire our faith to be strengthened, we should not shrink from opportunities where our faith may be tried, and therefore, through trial, be strengthened.

Mueller grew in his faith. It was at first...simply a mustard seed. Through different situations and circumstances that God allowed him to go through, Mueller's faith began to grow and take root. His faith was tested...his trust in God was tried...and yet he was steadfast. His faith grew...and was able to accomplish much for the kingdom of God.

 Looking back over the last few years of my life, I can see that God has allowed different opportunities for my faith to grow. Circumstances that demanded my eyes to go directly to Him...required my knees to hit the floor. I would love to say that through each of them...my faith was strengthened...but sadly, unlike Mueller, I looked for a plan B. A just-in-case-God-doesn't-provide option. A safety net. 

Be assured, if you walk with Him and look to Him, and expect help from Him, He will never fail you.

And while at times I was faithless...God has always remained faithful. In the midst of anxiety or doubt, He was constant. He used the prompting of His Spirit on the members of His body to remind me over and over again that He is watching over us. Loving us. Showering us with goodness. Giving us more than our necessary needs.

Faith does not operate in the realm of the possible. There is no glory for God in that which is humanly possible. Faith begins where man's power ends.

God delights in showing us the characteristics that make Him GOD. He wants us to know Him. To trust Him. To have faith in Him. When we walk by faith, we are forced to await for His response to our needs. Thus allowing Him the perfect backdrop for His marvelous intervention to unfold. Moving us from beyond the possible into the realm of the impossible. Each encounter adding to that foundation of faith...reminding us once more that our God IS worthy of our complete and utter trust in Him.

Faith is the assurance that the thing which God has said in His Word is true, and that God will act according to what He has said in His Word... Faith is not a matter of impressions, nor of probabilities, nor of appearances.

I have been a Christian for over twenty years...and yet my faith is just beginning to sprout. Mostly because the majority of my life has been lived in a comfortable state of existence...not demanding faith to survive. But also...because I have not always sought the Lord  before acting on my own. Looking for other provisions before waiting on Him. Staying in the realm of the possible...rather than seeking the impossible.

God delights to increase the faith of His children. We ought, instead of wanting no trials before victory, no exercise before patience, to be willing to take them from God's hands as a means. Trials, obstacles, difficulties and sometimes defeats, are the very food of faith.

Thankfully, God continues to provide a means...opportunities to exercise faith. To wait on Him. To boldly go before Him with every need. Every concern. Every hearts desire. And to learn to expect great things from Him. This past year has been one of growth for my seedling of faith. God allowed situations that found me without any opportunities for "plan B" or any false security of a safety net. But pushed me to see that my reliance was only safe completely in Him. Then time and time again, the Lord moved in ways that were beyond my comprehension. That could only be attributed to Him.

So while it is still small...this little seedling of faith is growing. And I pray that as I truly seek Him...believing that HE is who He says He is...and He will do what He says He will do...this faith will truly accomplish much for His kingdom!!

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is 
and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him. 
 Hebrews 11:6

1 comments