Deja Vu


When I was in junior high our family moved to England to live for two years. We did not have a dishwasher there and so my older brother, Michael, and I were the official "dishwashers"! We took turns washing and drying and you would have thought it would have been a bonding experience for brother and sister. Hm, not exactly! I dreaded the nights that I would have to wash...looking for any reason or excuse to get out of the chore. You see, Michael was extremely picky when it came to the definition of CLEAN. I would scrub the dishes in the water, rinse them, and set them aside for him to dry and put away. He would then proceed to examine it...very carefully...every nook and cranny...and very cermoniously place it back on the dirty dishes side! Then we would fight! :-) It was definitely the event of the night. He would continue to do this until exasperated and defeated I would volunteer to wash and dry (I'm sure that was his goal in the first place).
This morning I had a deja vu moment with my son. Some of you may know, Tyler likes things...a certain way.
We're having him start helping out with some more chores around the house and this morning he helped me unload the dishwasher. I gave him the silverwear tray and let him put them all away but told him to take out the ones that didn't get clean. Well, lets just say that there were more dirty ones than clean ones! It was Michael all over again!!! Thankfully, I didn't personally wash all those dishes this time! :-)

1 comments