My latest adventure...

We have officially listed our house as of last week. There are several reasons we are trying to move and now we will just wait and see if the Lord blesses us with a buyer.
But since Jason has been out of town in Arizona, we've not had anyone to cut the grass...and with all the rain that we had last week it just grew right up to our ankles. Well, we got a phone call and someone wanted to come see the house...grass and all! So, I took it upon myself to haul the mower out and try and figure out modern machinery on my own. :-) Now you know, if mowing the lawn had gone smoothly I would NOT be blogging about it...obviously it did not.
Thankfully, my son, Tyler (who is only five years old) took care of the prep work! He showed me where to put the bag, how to turn the mower on, how to get it to move (those things are HEAVY) and then of course, he helped push. Without him, I would have been researching mowers and how they work on the Internet most of the afternoon!
Once we got started it was fairly easy, aside from how hard it was to push this huge thing up and down the hill. Granted, my lines weren't as perfect and symmetrical as Jason's are normally...but the grass was getting shorter.
I thought I was getting into a rhythm when all of a sudden grass started shooting out from all directions and being the novice that I am...I did NOT turn the mower off right away but just held onto the handle and watched the grass flying all around. Tyler was yelling at me to "let go, MOM!" (He's questioning the intelligence of his mom at this point) Obviously to anyone but me, the bag had gotten too full and I should have emptied it.
After we emptied the bag and cleaned up the whirlwind of grass...we were back in action. I really only had two strips left to cut when the mower just stopped. It wouldn't start up again...it wouldn't even "cough" to let me know it was trying to start. I panicked...should I call Jason and let him know I broke the mower? Should I lamely try and "fix" it on my own? That's when my son stepped in and saved the day...once again! He looked up at me and said..."Mom, its just out of gas!" Duh! Of course it was!!!
So we gassed it up, finished the last couple of strips and began to put it all away. And then something wonderful happened. One of my neighbors was walking past and I looked up to say hi...and she stopped and said:
"Your yard looks absolutely beautiful!"
Ahhh...it was worth it! But, I think from now on...no matter how tall the grass is...I'll just leave it to Jason and Tyler to cut!

My Hero!!!!

7 comments