Y'all Ready for This...


VBS is my FAVORITE week of the summer. Yes, we have to get everyone up super early, deal with a few tantrums, walk around in a haze for the first few hours, frantically rush to church, come home exhausted and hot...and then start it all over again bright and early the next day. But really, I honestly LOVE it!
In years past, I have had the pleasure of heading up the preschool kids during VBS. Unfortunately, this year I find myself a little overwhelmed with my own personal responsibilities...and I needed a smaller role during the week of VBS. So....this year...I will be doing the music for the preschoolers.
Easy task...right? Just lead them in some songs...run around the room...and have fun! Sounds like a blast.
Well...not exactly. If you do music...you have to stand on the stage and lead the entire group of kids (and leaders) in the motions for each song.
Lets just remember who this is...this is CELIA Jimenez! Not Jason...who makes everything he does look cool - even if he doesn't know what he's doing...could qualify as a boy-beat-band member! Not Amy...who has more rhythm in her pinky than I have in my entire body. Not Jackson...who just by bouncing up and down looks as cute as all get out. (I purposefully left out Tyler because apparently...he inherited more of my genes in this area!)
No...this is Celia. When I dance (or rather TRY to dance) it looks more like contrived movements that almost look painful. I do not possess that natural ability to just "move" to the music. On top of that...doing actual planned out movements is beyond my brain capacity. Its hard enough for me to remember the words of the song, sing them, and remember to breath! Add movements and your liable to find me in a heap - front and center on the stage!
But alas...I had my first practice yesterday. And let me tell you...these songs are FUN! I watched the others move effortlessly around the room - putting feeling behind each motion. It looked so easy. I want to do it just like they did it. I watched the video thinking to myself, "These are kids doing this...how hard can it be?" And so...I plunged in!
Well...after taking the video home and practicing all evening last night (complete with "encouraging" comments from my ever-supportive husband) and again practicing ALL morning I think I am FINALLY getting it down.
I was starting to get a little confident in my movements and putting a little kick into my step. By the end of the morning, I told the kids to watch me and see if I was getting everything right.
This is how the conversation went after the song:

ME: So how did I do??

TYLER: You got all the motions right.

ME: Really???

TYLER: Yeah, but Mom...you can't dance like that on stage.

ME: Why not?

TYLER: Uh, because, Mom...everyone will laugh at you!!!

Ah, yes...well...if you are feeling a little stressed during VBS and you need some comic relief...don't worry! I'll be there to help you out! And for all of you who only get to see me through the blog...I will tell you now...there will NOT be any videos posted on this blog of me embarrassing my family!!! :-)

6 comments