The City of Brotherly Love...

My little brother just became a father to the cutest little bundle of sweetness several weeks ago.
So, my mom flew into Charlotte and we packed up the van to capacity and took a trek up north to Philadelphia.
It was a trip not soon forgotten...tons of memories packed into every minute of every day!


 Sweet little Levi captured our hearts as soon as we met him...each one of the kids wanted to hold him, kiss him, talk his ear off, love on him...and just snuggle him close.
Hailey asked each morning when we would go see "Baby Lebi"...but she made it clear to me while I was holding him that I was HER mommy...NOT his!!!



Being in Philadelphia was a homeschool field trip galore!!!
We started off with Amish country...my personal favorite.
We visited an Amish farm and most of us took a tour of the home to learn all about Amish life...
the two little ones were more interested in the live animals out back!!!
There were baby goats and baby sheep...and plenty of "moo-cows!
The farm was complete with a one room schoolhouse...the kids filed in and took their seats...
and then we looked on the bookshelf and found the same exact readers we use for school all stacked up! :-)




I was a little obsessive about the buggies.
Driving along the streets (at 5mph) I would shout out, "Look, there's a buggy!!!"
And at first, everyone humored me and oohed and ahhed.
By about the hundredth time...their enthusiasm had definitely waned!!!
Just a side note, yesterday Tyler asked me why we didn't see any buggies here in Charlotte.
He said, "Is it because everyone drives so fast here?"
I guess he missed the whole AMISH part of AMISH country!!!


The quiet farms nestled in the rolling green hills were absolutely beautiful.
We took back roads here and there...passing buggies and scooters.



After a quick treat and some craft perusing, we headed to the Lancaster Science Museum.


The kids had a BLAST!!!
There was enough to keep everyone busy...but not too much to be overwhelming.

The next day the kids headed to Hershey, PA...the sweetest town in the US.
I opted to stay snuggled up with Levi in the hospital and let my mom tackle the sugar overload.

The last big stop on the trip was downtown Philadelphia.
We had much on the agenda...but were lacking 1) a daddy to help, 2) a grandma to help, and 3) a stroller to help...so needless to say I was a bit nervous of how we'd tack it all!


But it was a BEAUTIFUL day!!!
Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross House, Constitution Hall...
I stuffed as much historical info into their little impressionable minds as they allowed...
then we took a little sidewalk break for a hot dog and cheese steak!
Then it was time to 
head to the Franklin Institute.


This was the biggest science museum the kids had ever been to...and I think EVERYONE within a hundred miles had chosen that same day to attend.
Thankfully the kids kept close and had a great time learning!

Needless to say, everyone was a bit exhausted on the way home.

My friend, Sarah, from Bible College days lives in Philadelphia. 
We stopped off to see her and meet her beautiful family!
Having had three boys she had a ton of baby boy clothes that she was willing to give to my lil nephew.
And on top of that - she blessed them with a diaper cake full of baby goodies!
So sweet!!

It was great to get reconnected and the kids hit if off right away!!!

It was a fun, long, exhausting, blessed trip.
We were so thankful to have the precious time we had with my brother and his little family.
The kids are already asking when we can go again...
and sweet little Baby Levi is already sorely missed!!!

0 comments