I Could Never...

There have been many times in my life that I have found myself uttering the words...I could never_______. Looking on into other peoples' lives and putting myself into their shoes...wondering if I could do what they do. Thinking that it would be beyond my abilities...and beyond what I would feel comfortable with...or called...or even willing to do.

Just as often, I have had others look into my life...put themselves into my shoes...and I hear them say to me, "I could never _____."  Be it homeschool. Sidewalk counsel at an abortion mill. Pastor's wife. Mother of four kids. Support a new ministry. Walk by faith. Etc.

And it has made me stop and think...what DO we think we are capable of? What small circle of comfort have we oft allowed ourselves to stay in...simply because we fear the unknown? Because we rely solely on our natural gifts and talents...and neglect to put faith in the One who calls us in the first place.

Then Moses said to the Lord, "Please, Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue." The Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes him mute or deaf,or seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now then, go and I, even I, will be with your mouth, and teach you what you are to say." But he said, "Please, Lord, now send the message by whomever You will." Then the anger of the Lord burned against Moses, and He said, "Is there not your brother Aaron the Levite?"
Exodus 4:10-14

Moses was destined to rule a nation. He was set apart by the Lord even as a baby. Saved by the faith of his parents from the ruthless ruler of Egypt. Brought up as royalty in the household of Pharaoh. Heir to the throne. He knew he was born to lead. But who was he to lead?
Moses was constantly aware of the struggle around him. Watching his Hebrew brothers groaning under the weight of their bondage. Until it became too much for him to merely witness...and he engaged himself in their strife. Banished from the kingdom...led into the wilderness...leading only sheep. What a demotion...from kingdom authority...to shepherd's status.
Naturally, after forty years spent reliving that same fated moment over and over again in his mind, he was more than surprised when God asked him to be a leader...of the Hebrew nation...to their exodus.

He doubted his abilities at first...which is understandable.  He has been in charge of only sheep...not even his sheep...his father-in-laws sheep. He has fallen from grace in the eyes of his nation. He is a wanted man by the Egyptians. So perhaps he might not be the best person chosen for this monumental task? Right, God?

Graciously, God reassures him of not just his calling...but also his equipping. I...even I will be with your mouth and teach you what you are to say.  But sadly, that was not enough for Moses. And usually...that is not enough for us either. How often do we feel the prompting of the Holy Spirit to move beyond our comfortable existence in the desert and into the realm of the unknown...only to doubt whether or not it truly was the Lord. And even after He confirms it to us through His Word, His Spirit, and His body...we still refuse to budge.

Moses went beyond doubting just his abilities...he doubted GOD's ability. Moses gave permission for God to use anyone else...but him. There are many situations in life that will trump our experience...overshadow our gifts and talents...and swallow up any confidence we had stored up. Yet, God calls us to go THERE...to that place of uncertainty...where we cannot draw anything up of our own...so that we can free fall completely onto HIS abilities. Those situations that we look upon and say...I could never _____ are the very ones that bring us face to face with Him. We stay far too long in the place in which (we think) we thrive...what comes "naturally". But who is it that gave us those abilities in the first place? We will not be called to lead a nation out of bondage...or to work wonders before the eyes of a mighty Pharaoh...or to throw back giant walls of water...but we are called to live out our lives with an incredible faith. Capable of doing all of the above...and more. Day in and day out we should be able to look and see the mighty ability of God living His power through our lives.

Is there not your brother?
I do not want that to be said of me. That I passed on an opportunity for God to use me...simply because I lacked faith in His ability to carry it out in my life. Because I looked upon what He called me to do and asked Him to find someone else. Because I stayed within my own deficiencies rather than relying on HIS sufficiency. Because I said, I could never....

Be ready to do whatever it is that God has called you to do. He has thoroughly equipped you...you are lacking nothing. He has given you everything you need for life and godliness...through the knowledge of Him who called you. Admire those who walk by faith beside you...no matter how differently their lives may look. Remember that it is HE who does the calling...in each of our lives. And never, ever say....I could never...

0 comments