Imagination

IMAGINATION: the ability of forming mental images, sensations and concepts,
in a moment when they are not perceived through sight, hearing, or other
senses. The faculty through which we encounter everything.

A diaper box. Diapers that need to be put away. A box that needs to be broken down and put in the recycling bin. A dent in the budget for the cost of the diapers. That is my thought process when I see a box of diapers.




Amy and Tyler - not restricted by my boundaries and inhibitions - see the box for what it can be. The fact that it is filled with diapers does not prove to be a limitation...only an obstacle. They can see past the obvious and create a myriad of different functions for this little object made of cardboard. What they see with their eyes does not prove to be the only reality available.
Instead, they draw on all things past to create a new present. Those being: a parade, a boat trip, an airplane ride, a chase involving a very noisy police officer, and a very cozy (albeit slow) car trip for one happy baby!






As I watched this box transform before my eyes...I realized how similar faith is to imagination. Too often I am reliant on only what is visually in front of me - not what is eternally prepared for me. I forget that my reality is not based only on those things that can be defined by the tangible...but on the hope and the promise of a Saviour. Where I look and see a sinful, struggling heart...God looks and sees the beauty of what it can be.


Imagination is a gift given to us by our Creator. A gift that is often seen only in the young. But nonetheless a gift that serves as a reminder that He is the Author and Perfecter of all that is unimaginable in us!

3 comments