Why Write...

I do not consider myself a writer. I love to write. I love words. I love the combination of pen and paper. I am obsessed with new journals and the yawning pages waiting to be filled. Transcribing heart and feelings...thoughts and convictions...hopes and dreams...whatever might come to mind.


There is a sense of freedom in bringing words out of hiding. A purging of heart and soul...releasing the inner turmoil or reliving the great adventure...perhaps breathing life to an intimate experience. It is bringing reality and permanence to what was once merely fleeting. Capturing it before it flits away and bringing it down to rest indefinitely.

But more than that...I write to lay hold of Him. My Creator and Sustainer. The Giver of Life. The true spoken Word. Stopping the crazy cycle of life...and sitting still...reflecting on His goodness...there is more bubbling up inside of me than can be contained. Lessons and truths. Promises of love and faithfulness. Reflections of His grace. Fleshed out experiences of His love. And when the moment is finished...the cycle begins once again...and if not captured...can soon be forgotten.

Then the Lord answered me and said, "Record the vision and inscribe it on tablets,
That the one who reads it may run.
For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail.
Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay.
Habakkuk 2:2-3

When the vision comes...write it down. It will come at the appointed time and point toward the goal. God has a purpose and a vision for this specific time in my life. He has truths that are for me to hear...to study...to learn...to live. Those truths are the catalyst for my every movement in life. Truths that define the purpose of my living out one more day. The vision might tarry...it might not come as expected. But it will certainly come. And once it has...the response is up to me.

To lay hold of Him. To capture the moment when the vision comes and make it known. To put aloud what is quietly spoken in the heart. To know the WORD not just the words. And to put accountability into action. Once it has been brought to life in written form...there is no hiding behind ignorance. 

As the truth takes shape and begins to weave it's way through my heart...the desire is to then write it down, make it known...and prayerfully...live it out.

To lay hold of Him. Take the searing desire for more and capture it in it's sincerest form. To know Him better at the end of each day...


0 comments