Called...



In this season of life, we are so very blessed to have Daddy at home with us.
Many people have wondered and even ventured to ask if it has been hard for us to adjust.
Quite honestly, no.
We love having him home...even if he is in his office most of the day with the door shut.. 
(and the sound machine on, the fan on, and classical music playing...yes, we are very noisy!)


We have been blessed with a man that fulfills his biblical calling of a father
and jumps in to help in every situation.
Blessed to have a true helpmate in every sense of the word.


We are also grateful that at this point in time...he has limited trips that take him away from us.


But several weeks ago found me alone...taking care of all the kids...trying to do school...
chores...shopping...etc...on my own.


Many of my friends are in this predicament several times a month.
And I must confess...I admire their fortitude and ability to "roll with the punches".


I have to admit that I do not deal with it quite as well.
In fact, the exact opposite.


This particular week found me in a foul mood.
And after a very frustrating exchange between two siblings exhibiting their sinful nature...
I allowed myself to wallow in shameful self-pity.


I even went so far as muttering these completely self-centered phrases:
"He's off by himself...ALONE...doing everything ALONE...I can't even go to the bathroom alone!"
"He has no idea how hard this is."
and then the final...
"He could never do all this...he could never do what I do."


And then the conviction came.
Swift.
Firm.
Gentle.
Truth.


He is not called to do what I do.
He is not the one that God has chosen to be "mother".
He is called to be father, husband, provider, protector, prophet.


And he is definitely fulfilling that calling!
Obeying his God at much cost to himself.


On top of that...how is it that I am able to do "all that I do"?
Is it because of some great ability on my part?
Some incredible gifts?
Amazing talents?
Is it because I am a "super mom"?



Actually, no it is not.
It has nothing to do with me at all.
It is because God has called me to be "mother" and then sufficiently provided His grace for that calling.
He has enabled me to be exactly whom these children need me to be.


Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Not a new concept.
But one that has reverberated in my heart and life in the days following.



My path of sanctification reveals much need for God's precious grace.
Given to me...AND my wonderful husband.
Grace that convicts when selfishness threatens to choke out the blessings.
Grace that endures when frustrations abound.
Grace that continues until the completion of each of our callings!

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, 
so that having all sufficiency 
in all things at all times,
 you may abound in every good work.
II Corinthians 9:11



4 comments