The Truth of Consequences...


About two months ago, I made a decision that I would end up regretting.
Two of our graduated students were engaged to be married and their wedding day was fast approaching.
I wanted to spend some time with the bride-to-be and encourage her, counsel her and pray over her.
It was my brilliant idea to take a sunrise hike that ultimately led to some hefty consequences.
Upon arriving at the state park, we realized that it did not officially open until later in the day.
So...I threw caution to the wind...found a grassy parking spot...and interpreted the "closed" sign to mean what I want.


The park rangers waiting for me by my car did not agree with my interpretation and 
left me a very significant fine.
So, last week found me here...at the Gaston County Courthouse.
Thankfully, I escaped the fine with a "sentence" of community service hours
 (which I happily served at church!).
But through it all...I was able to *humbly* teach my kids some very thoughtful lessons.
(It helped that the courthouse was situated right by the jailhouse...we talked a lot about how one poor choice...in the wrong situation...could have major ramifications!)


We are all making choices every moment of our lives.
These choices have consequences.
Some affect only you...and some affect those closest around you.
While others still...affect a multitude of people.


We talked about the choices that are affecting our lives today...directly and indirectly.
The choices that are made by ourselves.
The choices made by our family.
The choices made by our country.
And ultimately, the choice of our Savior.
It was a learning opportunity...



After the courthouse, we went to the "scene of the crime" and spent 
the rest of the day at Crowders Mountain!



It was a BEAUTIFUL day for exploring!!!


The older kids found bugs, leaves, webs, etc to keep them chatting the entire walk.



Hailey found it much more interesting to go "off trail" and...


put EVERYTHING into her mouth!!!


We took a "leisurely" pace and after about the fourth or fifth "tasting" experience I gave up on her learning anything from it.



We disrupted whatever fish were idly lazing about with our tromping through the woods...


but throwing rocks into the water and "pretend" fishing was much more fun.
The walk back was not nearly as exciting...and most everyone was quite worn out.


This was how we ended the "hike"...with muddy pants, dirty hands and faces, and weary little bodies.
A fun day full of learning and exploring come to an end.

3 comments