California...

My first stop in California was my Aunt Judy and Uncle Jeffrey's in Riverside.
I cannot remember a time that I have been in the state of California...and not been to see them!
Their house is like a second home to me.
And they spoil me...just a little :-)




Aunt Judy made me fresh biscuits!!!

My grandmother lives with my aunt and uncle...so I was able to have a nice visit with her also!
She has not been feeling the best for quite awhile...her health has kept her from doing some of the things she loves the most.
But she has ALWAYS exuded grace...taking in stride the limitations of this life and trying to make the best of every situation.



I treasure each and every moment we had together!!



My Aunt Judy, cousin Christian, and I slipped away for a girls night out!!
We went and saw a Jane Austen movie and then my aunt's favorite - Chick-Fil-A.
It was fun to laugh and be silly...just girls!!


While in Riverside, I was able to see my friend, Erin Thigpen.
Erin and her husband have been missionaries with Navigators for quite some time and just got back from being in New Zealand.
We haven't seen each other in ten years...but it was as if time had not passed at all.
Erin and I became friends way back in elementary school...and she remained one of my closest friends all through college.
It was so good to catch up on different stories...and to hear all that God was doing in their lives.
I walked away with several poignant truths that Erin shared...learning through hardship but relying on God's grace. 

Then it was on to meet Jason!!!
Restoration Church Reseda had asked Jason to come out and lead a marriage conference that they put on each spring called iRest.
Restoration is a Latino church and so Jason wanted to make sure they new - upfront - that he did NOT speak Spanish...and would need a translator.
That was not a problem.
Until the night of the conference...when that little detail got forgotten and Jason was supposed to speak to sixteen hundred people..in English!
Thankfully, Pastor Jorge graciously stepped in and translated for him and did a fabulous job!!!




iRest had the BEST hospitality...this is Jason, right before he was going to speak, getting a massage!
They treated us like royalty!!



It was an INCREDIBLE weekend! 
Although Jason and I could not understand the words of the worship...
we KNEW the spirit of the worship.



Jason did an amazing job...speaking on biblical leadership and forgiveness.


It was powerful to see a room full of couples, prompted and convicted by the Holy Spirit, spending time seeking forgiveness and reconciliation.


We enjoyed our time with the pastors and their wives - getting to know them better and watching them shepherd their flock.
We were encouraged to see the love they had for their people and the earnest desire they had for true growth among them.


Jason...being Jason...
made several comments during the conference 
that ended up getting him "called up" on stage on the last day! :) 
These guys had a lot of fun teasing each other during the weekend!

Since we were going to be in California...and we had just celebrated our fifteenth anniversary...and our kids were in safe and loving hands...



we decided to slip away to La Jolla for a few days.
It was AMAZING!!!


We stayed at La Valencia Hotel - a 1920's Spanish hotel that was absolutely beautiful!
It was right on the coast so the view from our room...


from the pool...from everywhere was gorgeous!


We spent most of the time walking...


and talking...


and just enjoying our time together.


Jason checking out the tide pools.


Just sitting...listening to the crashing waves...feeling peace just settle in all around us...that was my favorite part of the entire getaway!


All too quickly, it was time to pack up and head back to AZ!
We are so thankful to both of our parents for taking care of our kids so we could have this time away.
The kids had a blast spending time with their grandparents!

0 comments