January 2020

  Once again I let an entire year slide by.

I tried to stay caught up on the blog...and at one point I was only a few months off.

But then something inevitably demanded my time and attention. And time marches on.

So here I am...trying to post an entire year...and what a year it was.

2020

The year everyone claimed would give us "clear vision". And to be honest, it probably did. 

Who could have ever foreseen all that would transpire in only twelve short months? But having packed away the boxes on 2020...I can definitely say that my vision has cleared. And what I am left with as I look afresh on 2021? An increased awareness of what is most important. A desire to spend as much time as I can soaking up memories with my family. A changed perspective on what the "body of Christ" truly means. A deeper understanding and appreciation of FREEDOM.

And a deep sense of gratitude for the hope I have secure in Christ.

But...back to the blog.

Back to 2020.

We rang in the New Year with a fun party of friends. Apparently it was SO fun that I failed to take any pictures AT ALL!! I think this was the first year that Jason and I stayed up till midnight with the kids to watch the ball drop!

The next day while everyone slept off their late night...Jackson and I faced off for Rubik's Race.

I have been ADDICTED to this game since Christmas. 

And Jackson has been trying to beat me since Christmas!

He's almost there...but not yet.


Buster has been breaking the bank with his many visits to the groomers.
In fact, we were spending more on his haircuts than anyone else!
I decided to buy some clippers and give a go.


It might take a few tries to master the perfect style...but we are a few dollars richer!


January had me in the hospital for a much needed surgery.
I am so thankful for the expert care of the doctors and nurses...and so many that lovingly looked after me. 



And my family even agreed to play canasta with me to help me recover!!

Sadly, we received a call one afternoon that Jason's brother, Joe, had been hospitalized.
He had been battling cancer for several years and had been declining since Christmas.
By that evening, Jason and his brother Jeremy were on a plane to Arizona.
I am so thankful they got there in time to say their last goodbyes...Joe died the following day.

I made arrangements for the kids and left the following morning to be with Jason.






Once I got there, we spent some time with Joe's kids - Ephraim, Keziah, Paul, Uriah and Mary.
So bittersweet to be with them...and grieving with them.
Thankfully, with Jason's Dad - Phil - or Poppy as the kids call him - silliness and laughter abound.
While we played together he had us all giggling after awhile.


We celebrated Cyrus' birthday that night as a family.
Trying to redeem the day from the sadness and gather comfort from being together.



My sister-in-laws - Kirsten and Aundie.


In lieu of a funeral, Kirsten and the kids preferred a "Joe's favorite things" memorial.
We had Pat's chili dogs, Eegees, and Peter Piper pizza.
Then we sat around and told the "Joe" stories that would've made him smile.




We wrote a farewell message on balloons and then released them together.
It was a hard day...but the memories and the time together made it bittersweet.



While we were gone, Amy celebrated her 15th birthday.
It was SO hard not to be there for her...for us and for her!



Thankfully, we have some amazing friends that tried their best to make the weekend special for her.
She went to Refresh - a special day just for the youth group girls at church.


Amy, Katelyn Austin, Abby Austin, Myah Coffey, Helena Siguenza, Ella Daly and Alyssa Garcia


Amy and Hailey stayed with our friends, the Gotts. 


They DEFINITELY made Amy's day special with a trip to El Valle!


We are so thankful for friends (including the Kennedy's) that made sure Amy knew she was loved on her birthday while we were gone.


But once we came HOME...THEN the real celebration started...




Happy Birthday, sweet Amy girl! 




We love how the Lord is changing your heart and drawing you closer to Him. We are blessed to be your parents. May this year continue to show off God's faithfulness and His love for you while you explore all that He has for you!

0 comments