Road-trip...

My husband loves me.
I have to preface this post with that statement.
Several months before Christmas I began to get very homesick for family.
Since moving here eight years ago, we have not been back to Arizona for Christmas.
We have made quite a few trips...but not during Christmas.
And so...my poor husband was subject to my different ideas of getting us out there this year.
With six of us...flights were just too expensive.
And thus...the road trip.

We had tossed this idea around plenty of times before...but this time it stuck.
We had offers of gas cards from our parents...free hotel stays from a friend...and a very eager four children to see their grandparents...who could say no!?
Jason wasn't able to take the time off of work to make the road trip out there and back again...so I went with the kids and then he flew out to meet me.
Yes, my husband loves me!!!

It was a long...long...long trip. But we made several very fun stops to break it up!
The first up was in Georgia to see my aunts and uncles and to be treated to a yummy lunch!


After that we headed to Atlanta to stay with our friends, the Tucker family.


The kids had a blast playing...so much so that Hailey asked if we could leave her there while we went on our long trip...and just pick her up on our way home :-)

It was such a fun night to visit with them and to see how God has added to their family!


The next day was on the road again...
we went through Georgia, 



Alabama, 


Mississippi...



and finally...Louisiana!


We stopped in New Orleans on the way to Baton Rouge to enjoy some fun sights and yummy treats!


The kids were a little unsure with the street music...strange masks in the window...and the crowds of people everywhere. 



It was definitely a new experience for all of them. 



I promised them they would be well rewarded for their little adventure with a hot sugary beignet...


and it definitely did not disappoint!!



 Cafe du Monde loaded us up with sugar and warm hot cocoa to keep the sightseeing going!
That night the kids slept hard...after a long day of driving and sightseeing they all fell right into bed.
I have to admit that it was harder for me. It was a little weird being so far away from home...in a hotel...away from my husband. 
But I felt the prayers of our faithful friends and family tucking me in and keeping me safe.

The next day we started our two-day trip across Texas!
I couldn't help it while driving...I had to belt out Dixie Chicks Wide Open Spaces...well, maybe not belt it out...I had my head phones in.


We stayed with our friends, the Richardsons, in San Antonio and had a blast getting to see the city.


They took us along the river walk, which was all lit up for Christmas.


And then we headed to the Alamo. 

 

The kids had a blast playing with their friends...and once again, Hailey asked to be left behind.
I think she was getting a bit tired of all the driving! :-)



 The next day started off early...and was the last, but longest day of the trip.
I had planned on only driving to El Paso...but being so close to home made me want to just push through.
It was a fourteen hour day in the car...bleh!
But...the kids did A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!
Four long days in the car and it was actually fun.
I had spent weeks planning for the trip...so they had lots of things to keep them busy in the car.
Each morning, we would start off by listening to the Chronicles of Narnia on CD.
These were incredible. Not only did they keep the kids entertained...but I loved listening to them too.
They would color or do activity sheets while listening.

After that they could pick out a movie.
With each state that we passed they would get a state bag that held a new toy for each of them and/or a new movie. 
Being that we were in Texas for TWO days - I did have to shuffle the bags around a bit.
All in all...the kids were awesome. 
They played...they colored...they talked...they sang (especially Hailey)...and generally had a good time watching the scenery pass by.




Towards the end of the fourth day...I was definitely beginning to fade. I was ready to be DONE.
But then...I saw the mountains on the horizon...true desert mountains.
And I knew I was almost home.


There are no words to describe how excited I was to pull into my parents neighborhood.
We had finally made it!!!



And I think these guys were just a little bit excited to see us too...



Jackson had been "practicing" his hug for his Grammie and Poppy for weeks.
And now...he was finally able to do it in person!
Four long days of driving...but two full weeks ahead of memory making fun!


0 comments