Surprise???


Why is it that when you plan a surprise party...you are the one that ends up surprised? Things generally don't go as planned...well, maybe that's just what happens to me! :-)
I planned a surprise party for Jason's 30th birthday, which was this last Tuesday. I knew that it would be almost impossible to pull it off...surprising him is not one of my strong points. I manage to ruin every birthday present and Christmas present because I just can't wait to tell him what I got him. So to plan for a month in advance and not speak a word of it was quite the daunting task!!!
I had planned to have the party on his actual birthday instead of on the weekend and so it would have to be after work. I called everyone and had some people try and keep Jason at the church till a certain time so everyone could make it on time! I also had planned to have it outside...so that everyone wouldn't have to cram into our tiny house. There were going to be quite a few little ones at the party to help celebrate and they are at their best and loudest when they are OUTSIDE!!!
But of course, the day was super stormy and the clouds were black ALL day. So I quickly switched gears...made sub sandwiches and cleaned out the garage. I set up tables and chairs out in the garage and tried to maximize the space inside.
Then the surprise really flopped...Jason called and said he was going to leave work early and just come home!??? Of course, its his birthday...he can do whatever he wants. Why would any loving wife tell her husband to stay at work? So I scrambled and tried to make excuses for why we wouldn't be here when he got home. (Is lying okay when you're planning a surprise party?)
All in all...there were about four people here when Jason showed up...they surprised him. And he was actually surprised. Then it poured buckets of rain and the rest of the guests sat in their cars waiting for the rain to pass...and then Jason surprised them!
It was a great party and a wonderful celebration for Jason. Probably the last surprise party the Jimenez family will have...but we all got to bless Jay and enjoy the fellowship!!! Happy Birthday, Sweetie!!!

2 comments