Highschool Camp '09 FLIP











Five minutes to myself and I finally sit down to blog about camp. Wow!!! I could seriously talk about it all afternoon...but too long on the computer make the kids a little crazy, my ankles and feet swollen, and dinner uncooked for the evening! So I will limit my ramblings!!!

Two weeks ago, Jason, myself and nine other adults took eighty-five students to Wake Forest University for an amazing week of worship, fellowship, teaching, and bonding! Student Life is a ministry that puts on different camps all across the States throughout the summer. They provide the teaching, worship, amazing drama, and recreational games throughout the week.
The theme for camp was FLIP...based on Matthew 20:16
"So the last will be first, and the first will be last."
The students were challenged to examine their entire lives...every aspect of them...and consider how this verse fit into their current lifestyle. The teaching was dynamic and there were definitely life-changing decisions made throughout the week!

The most impactful part of the camp for Jason and I is usually how close the students become. Having a large youth group can have its advantages...but it also has its disadvantages! Every youth group battles with cliques. Teenagers struggle so much with insecurity and trying to fit in...youth group tends to be just one more arena in which they battle. But Jason and I look forward to camp all year...praying that God will break down barriers and judgmental attitudes that keep new students at bay! This summer God truly worked throughout the entire youth group!!! It was so humbling to watch students reach out to their fellow students and embrace them and draw them in! There were several teary nights that students shared their initial hesitation to attend youth group...intimidated by the size and closeness of the group....but because of the determination of parents, Jason, or other students they came to camp. And camp changed everything for them!!!

While the theme, FLIP, dealt mostly with changing how you perceive life in general and basing it on losing your life for Christ...I think for our youth group...it meant more about flipping your perspective on those around you. Looking for opportunities to reach out and rescue those that are hurting and alone.

The week will probably be meaningful to some of the girls for a different reason! :-) I made sure I talked about all the negative aspects of pregnancy...ALL of the time! My way of reminding them that marriage is definitely a prerequisite for a baby!!! Although, I could have probably saved my breath...for by the end of the week my feet and ankles were so swollen ALL of the students were so grossed out that I don't think sex and babies will be on their minds for awhile! One can hope! :-)

Here are some pics from camp...btw...our team was the Green Machine...hence the green face paint!







5 comments